Monday 1 April 2024

The Sun: I was on The Apprentice and there’s a major hint the BBC hit will be axed

Story from The Sun:

An Apprentice candidate has sparked fears the show could be axed in just two years' time.

The BBC One business programme has been a staple of the UK's reality TV offering since its launch in 2005.

However, it may be coming to the end of its lifespan, according to one former star.

Raj Chohan, who was axed from the show this week, thinks the Beeb will cull the format if Lord Alan Sugar was to walk away.

The mortgage broker, who was fired by the tycoon in tense scenes on Thursday, mentioned how he has vowed to leave the show once it reaches its 20th series.

When asked what advice she'd have for future candidates, Raj revealed: "I definitely think if it's in you and you want to have the opportunity, have Lord Sugar's investment then do it.

"He said he's going to do it for 20 years, he's done 18 series so just two series left now.

"Now is your time, don't be scared, go for it and if it's meant to be it'll happen and if it's not, it's not the end of the world."

She added: "I don't think The Apprentice would ever be the same without Lord Sugar.

"I don't know if The Apprentice would even continue but I have heard previous interviews saying he was going to do 20 years.

"But you know what, knowing Lord Sugar he may be like 'I'm going to keep going until you get rid of me or decide I don't want to do it."

Previously speaking to The Sun, Lord Sugar said he thinks Beeb bosses would continue the show without him.

The 77-year-old said: "There’s no reason why I can’t go on to do 25 years. I’m very fit, so I don’t know whether it stops at 20. But if I ever did stop, I get a feeling the BBC wouldn’t stop it.

"I think they would try to find someone new to do it and that's where it might kill itself off."

The Apprentice airs Thursdays at 9pm on BBC One and iPlayer.