Sunday 7 April 2024

Daily Mail: ITV 'hire legendary former Sky Sports pundit for Euro 2024'

Story from Daily Mail:

ITV have hired a former Sky Sports pundit to serve as part of their coverage of the upcoming European Championships.

The 17th edition of UEFA's premier international tournament is set to get underway in just nine weeks time.

With such a major competition featuring two home nations on the horizon, broadcasters have scrambled to bolster their punditry lineups to cover all of the action in Germany.

According to a report from The Sun, ITV have done just that by bringing in Graeme Souness to be part of their coverage.

The former Sky Sports pundit will be involved from the first game of the tournament, when his native Scotland take on hosts Germany at the Allianz Arena on June 14.

A three-time European Cup winner during his playing career, Souness embarked on a successful stint in management after hanging up his boots before turning his talents to TV.

The 70-year-old became renowned for his outspoken views and his friendly rivalry with Roy Keane before leaving Sky Sports after more than a decade last year.

Speaking at the time Souness, thanked the broadcaster after departing by mutual consent following the expiry of his contract.

'I’m going to miss you guys, the guys behind the scenes, our makeup girl, I’ll miss you all,' he said on air. 'You know, for me, I decided that football management wasn’t for me any more. I had the wrong temperament for it, the wrong personality.

'And then I was given the opportunity to do this and it’s been magnificent. It’s just been the most fantastic time for me, because I love football, I care about football and I worry about it going forward.'

In Germany the Liverpool legend will provide analysis alongside the likes of Keane, Joleon Lescott, Jill Scott, Eni Aluko, Joe Cole, Karen Carney, Ian Wright and Gary Neville.